[Kde-games-devel] Re: music again

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Oct 19 17:55:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 19 October 2010 17:13:38 Przemysław Piłaciński wrote:
> W dniu 19 października 2010 15:29 użytkownik Shlomi Fish
>
> <shlomif at iglu.org.il> napisał:
> > 1. The download interrupted every megabyte or so and had to be resumed (I
> > used wget -c for that which resumed automatically). The download speed
> > was not good - less than 30 KBytes/s. I tried on two different hosts -
> > one in France and one my home machine and they both yielded the same
> > problem.
> >
> > 2. The download is an .mp3 file. The MP3 file format is encumbered by
> > patents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues .
> > Until these patents expire (see the wikipedia page), there is a problem
> > using this format. I hope the music for the game itself will be
> > distributed in .ogg . Can you comment on this?
>
> As I wrote, this is a demo, which means, a demonstration. This is not
> a file played in the game, it's there so people can catch a glimpse of
> how the music will sound.

I see. Well, I eventually was able to download it and it sounds pretty good.
Good job there.

> The download problem is bad news, thanks for informing.

You're welcome.

> Try using the
> player in the "news" section (the first link I supported,
> http://www.pilacinski.art.pl/news.html) while I look into the download
> problem. It also permits a download from a different source (the down
> arrow on the right).

Well, the Flash applet of this player is blocked by both NoScript and
FlashBlock here, and I'd rather not go to the effort of enabling a Flash
applet if I can help it. Maybe look into HTML 5's <audio> tag for a better
alternative. In any case, I was eventually able to download this song using
wget -c , so there is no need for it.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish