[Kde-games-devel] Re: Moving first parts of Tagaro into kdegames for 4.6?

Mathias Kraus k.hias at gmx.de
Sat Oct 16 22:17:48 CEST 2010

Parker Coates schrieb am Dienstag 21 September 2010:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 02:59, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> I guess a third option would be to split Tagaro up and makes the
> different parts internal to different apps. If Granatier really needs
> Tagaro::Board and friends, move it there for
> testing/development/refinement. Do the same for Tagaro::Audio and
> Grantier. Honestly, I don't know if this makes sense or not, but I
> just thought I'd throw it out there.

A little late, but better late than never ;)

I had some time and tried Tagaro::Audio. While it's far better than Phonon,
it's still a little bit worse than Gluon::Audio. I had problems with ogg but
wav works quite good. Once the sound vanished and I had to restart granatier
to get it back. Beside that, it's great :)

If nobody minds, I would copy the relevant files to granatier and make it the
default sound backend with an option to switch back to phonon, in the case
Tagaro::Audio doesn't work for someone. This would give us the possibility to
test Tagaro::Audio by a wider audience and maybe switch with KDE SC 4.7
completely to it.
But this would mean, that granatier needs to depend on OpenAL and SndFile.

Another solution would be, to make OpenAL and SndFile an optional dependency
and use it only if it's found.

In both cases the optional dependency for gluon will be removed and as OpenAL
and SndFile already are dependencies for gluon, essentially nothing would
change.

What do you think?

Regards,
Mathias