[Kde-games-devel] kdegames' move to Git

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 00:26:58 CEST 2010

On Sunday 27 June 2010 5:50:40 am Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> First, a Git-related question, which kdegames devs may proabbly skip: The
> proposed ruleset describes one monolithic kdegames repository. Is this what
> has been agreed upon?

Personally, I have always hated the monolithic repository structure,
especially when I had dialup only ... :-(  Is it possible to break it up?
I always imagined it was for the benefit of distros, but SuSE (at least)
packages our games separately.

> Now for the "social" side of things: From what I see, nearly all active
> kdegames developers (i.e. Parker, Wolfgang and me) are git-svn users
>  already.
>
> Because our module is also fairly inactive (at least compared to the big
>  ones like kdebase or kdevelop), it could be used as a "guinea pig" for
>  moving a whole module to Git, just like Amarok and Konversation were the
>  first applications moving to git.kde.org. Is such a testing ground needed,
>  and if yes, would everyone from the kdegames devs be okay with the move?

-1 from me ...  I have had enough of being a "guinea pig" after 7 years or
so in KDE Games.  ATM I am even struggling (a little) with a request from
Admin to change my SVN account from https to SSH ... :-)  Just when I was
getting interested in doing some more games *development*, as opposed
to "maintenance" ... :-(

I appreciate that git is a "good thing".  I even tried it locally a few months
back.  But I am hoping for minimum disruption to development work and
minimum extra "maintenance" work (for me) during this transition.

All the best, Ian W.