[Kde-games-devel] Restructuring KDE Games

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Wed Jun 9 17:07:11 CEST 2010

Hi, people. I think we have a problem nowadays with KDE Games, and
this is a proposal so we can attempt to solve it.

Most initiatives die by lack of action. There is a little bit of
discussion on what needs to be done, some requests are made on the
mailing list, but nothing actually happens afterwards, as no consensus
is reached.

Cases is point are the inclusion of Mancala, and the renaming of
Kbattleship. Eugene's request to clean up the module is another
example.

Of course, I am as guilty as anyone here for this state. We had a
wonderful time during the KDE 4 preparation cycle, and that type of
energy level is difficult to maintain. But entropy is killing us too
much right now :)

I propose that it is time to do something more radical. Akademy might
be the perfect venue for this, but I am not sure who will be there.
Some suggestions:

- Apply some formal process to decision-making in the module. It can
be online voting (we have to decide who is qualified to vote), or
appointing of a module coordinator to decide.
- Specify a way for the votes to happen, or for the module coordinator
to be elected (and re-elected periodically)
- Reconsider Eugene's proposal for a more radical clean-up of the module.
- Work on a "vision" and "goals" document for our project, so we would
know where we want to go, and how.
- Based on this vision, layout clearly what are the policies for
inclusion and maintenance of games in the collection, where possible
aligning of course with global KDE policies.

I will stop here, want to hear what you guys and girls think about this.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini