[Kde-games-devel] Pixmap leak?

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Sat Jul 3 23:12:13 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 16:09, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2010 16:25:06 Ian Wadham wrote:
>> On Thursday 01 July 2010 1:58:53 pm Ian Wadham wrote:
>> > ~QX11PixmapData(): QPixmap objects must be destroyed before the
>> >  QApplication object, otherwise the native pixmap object will be leaked.
>>
>> Maybe I did not make myself clear.  Every KDE Game I have tried is getting
>> these errors with trunk code as at 30 June - KBlocks, KBounce, KGoldrunner,
>> KJumpingCube, KMahjongg, Kolf, KPat, Kubrick and Palapeli.  Probably the
>> KDE 4.5 release candidate has the same problem.
>>
>> KMahjongg and KPat, I have found, sometimes get the errors on later runs.
>
> The only app which is "immune" to these errors at the moment is Killbots due
> to revision 1138283. A similar (yet less hacky) solution to the problem is now
> also included in KGameRenderer, so porting to KGameRenderer should kill the
> messages.

The reason I opted for such a hacky solution in Killbots was only
because I knew I'd be porting Killbots to KGameRenderer in the near
future anyway. :)

Even Killbots isn't immune to the warning though. Occasionally one
will be generated from somewhere in kdelibs, but at the moment I don't
recall from exactly where.

So, Ian, in answer to your question, the issue is known and it's being
generated from within kdelibs. Also keep in mind that the "problem"
isn't a new one, it's just a new warning. So your code is no more or
less broken now than it was with Qt4.5. ;) If you've gone through your
own code and are certain that you have no QPixmaps (or objects that
contain QPixmaps like QCursors or QIcons) outliving the QApplication,
I would say you can safely ignore them.

Parker