[Kde-games-devel] GSoC 2010

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Wed Jan 27 16:38:33 CET 2010

Hi,

Lydia's message to kde-soc@ reminded me that it's that time of the year again,
when we need to think about whether/how we want to participate in Google
Summer of Code.

Last year was a quite successful year in the number of kdegames projects that
were funded, but not so much when it comes to the actual outcome. At least, I
haven't seen any activity on Mancala, Parsek, and Kolf lately. Regarding the
last one: mea culpa. Kolf has had unexpected problems in its overall design,
which completely messed up the schedule and such for the GSoC project.

Apart from these special problems, we need to investigate now what went wrong
and how we can do better this year. I think a big factor in this is
communication: No one of our three students of last year is writing on this
mailing list anymore, and I remember only Zeng writing at least one or two
times, which I attribute to my poking. Situation on IRC is similar, although I
cannot comment on this point very good because I'm hardly ever using IRC, too.

A second possible issue is that kdegames is not a united big project like
Plasma or Amarok, it's more of a coordinated effort to create multiple
applications. Big parts of our codebase are maintained by only one person. In
such an environment, it's harder for newbies to become part of the community.
(I hope you get my point here.)

So, RFC: What can we do to make this year's GSoC a success? And the second
question: Are there any project ideas?

Actually, I have a project idea, but I have to leave now.

Greetings
Stefan