[Kde-games-devel] [ARTWORK REQUEST] Sokoban theme for magazynier.

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 20:55:16 CET 2010

Ah, there you are.  ;)

2010/1/7 Tadeusz Andrzej Kadłubowski wrote:

> Transparency doesn't work yet, but looks easy to fix.

hmmm, that's strange... could've sworn I read something about
transparencies on the README.ARTISTS file, but upon second glance
there's nothing on there (aside from the 4 direction thing).  Sorry,
my bad.  ;)

Either way, transparency is essential for sure.  With a little
creativity we could work with "cardboard-like" opaque pieces for the
Player and all, but... yeah, it just won't be the same.  Besides, it
would also ruin the backgrounds. ^^

> Apart from transparency, viewing the player from 4 directions doesn't
> work and renders blank pixmaps. I'll try to fix it tonight.

Okay.  Good thing I didn't have the time to test it after all,
otherwise I would've been banging my head wondering why the pieces
weren't working.  :)

> The only feature left is ,,margins''. You were interested in having a
> top margin.
>
> I see that it is possible to define custom fields in .desktop file,
> and then access those fields with KGameTheme::property(). So just
> define how much (0% - 100%) margins do you wish on each side, and
> I'll write it down in the .desktop file.

Ah yes, thanks!  ^^
Well as you can see from the Ants theme, the top margin would
basically be there to prevent the game map from overlapping over the
"distant" background.  This allows the game to retain a 2.5D field of
view, with the main game map centered over a top-down view of the
background, and the top margin unfolding towards a true background (in
this case, distant grass and another ant colony).

You can also use the same theme to get the proper percentage.  I don't
want to steal too much space away from the game map, so maybe 13% of
the background's top margin can be set aside in the .desktop file
(leave all other margins as is, they won't be needed).

I'm glad this can be customized from the .desktop file -- chances are
I might be the only artist who wants this, lol.  ;)

> By the way: I have already uploaded your theme to SVN and written
> a .desktop file for it. I assume (cough cough) that you license this
> work to be distributed as a part of magazynier on the terms of GPLv2
> license (or later).

Oh? Did I forget to attach the EULA that states that just by hovering
your mouse over the attached SVG, I now own Magazynier, all the source
code associated with it, and on top of that you owe me EURO 3000.00 in
royalties for every centimeter of mouse movement you make while
viewing it in an approved vector editor like Inkscape?  (or EURO 60,000.00
if viewing it from a non-approved editor and/or viewer?)

Of course I'm kidding. :P

Yes, as with Granatier and Kigo, I'd rather have the license of the
artwork adhere to the same one used by its corresponding game -- it
saves us from needless over-complication.  ;)

When I post this on my DA page, I may utilize a CC-BY-SA license, but
only because DeviantArt doesn't allow you to formally select other
Copyleft licenses.  I usually clarify this in the description, and
reference the proper license.

Speaking of which, do you like this, or at least the approach of the
artwork?  ;)
I can't say this is my finest work (in fact, I've noticed I seem to
perform very poorly here vs. when I do my anime art), but in the case
of Magazynier at the moment at least I'm focusing on quantity over
quality.  I'd like for as many of the proposed themes to be produced
as quickly as possible, and then... if we still have the energy...
then we can work on fixing them to make them look better, hopefully
well before KDE 4.5.

Call it a "release early release often" approach but for artwork
(which for various reasons, is not common practice).  ;)

Just to reiterate the ideas we had for additional themes:

- Forklift moving boxes into palettes in warehouse setting.
- Space tug moving cargo into space stations in asteroid field setting
- Tug boat moving ships into ports in archipelago setting
- Dwarf moving gold into mining carts in cave setting
- Konqui moving faded KDE3 logos into KDE4 desktops in tech setting
- Rabbit moving carrots into burrow holes in farm setting
- Penguin moving snowballs/fish into an igloo.
- Classic Ksokoban theme
- Something Egyptian-based

After this one is successfully tested, I think I'll try doing the
Classic KSokoban theme next.  Then after that the Warehouse setting,
since it's a lot more appropriate to the name.  ^^

That's all for now, I think.
Take care and happy coding!  ^^b

--Arturo