[Kde-games-devel] The iPhenomenon

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 13 09:09:23 CEST 2010

On Thursday, August 12, 2010, Ian Wadham wrote:
> One key to the iPhenomenon and its ease of use is the touch-screen.

and it's amazing lock in and relative uselessness of many of the apps. give
 it a year or two for the limitations to sink in.

> I wonder when/whether they are supported in KDE and when/whether
> we will
 have touch-screen laptops.

we have been working (successfully) on touch screen features for a couple of
years now. gestures, multi-touch .. it all works. the UI needs to be
designed for fingers, but the touch side is already there in Qt and we've
 been using it for quite a while in Plasma.

> What I am wondering is whether KDE Games will ever be able to catch
> up
 or keep up with this kind of stuff?

QGesture and make sure the apps are fingerable.

i can only surmize that you
haven't watched many of Marco's Plasma-on-tablets screencasts, as in a few
 of them he uses kpat to show touch screen playing in action.

> Or should I switch to writing iApps?

if you think the world should be
 dictated by Steve Jobs and ignore all the progress we've made, sure.

i think running off to a walled garden controlled by a company completely
uninterested in cooperating with anyone else based on one or two devices in
a market that is in its infancy is, at its essence, playing at chicken
 little.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se