[Kde-games-devel] Library layout proposal

Thu Aug 12 18:50:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

you may have noticed that I'm quite obsessed with library writing lately. Big
parts of libkdegames need a serious update to stay relevant in the current
scenarios (e.g. QGraphicsView). KGameRenderer is part of these efforts, as is
KScore2. I also know that Josef is planning to resume work on KGGZ, and Parker
is working on libkcardgame.

Such big changes may, at some point, justify a BC breakage in which old,
unmaintained parts of libkdegames get removed. An example is KGameSvgDigits,
which isn't even used anywhere.

To make preparation for these steps easier, I propose that we don't add new
stuff to libkdegames, but create a new set of libraries which will be filled
with new useful stuff, as well as that stuff from libkdegames that is worth
preserving.

Possible libraries include:
* libkgamevisuals: KGameRenderer, QGraphicsView-based convenience classes, and
a KGameTheme on steroids which is boiling in my mind
* libkgamemechanics: KScore2, KGame2 (?)
* libkgamenetwork: GGZ integration
* libkcardgame (which could then include the carddeck stuff from libkdegames
if needed)

RFC! Please note that if we choose to implement this, it needs to be done
before the 4.6 release, because KGameRenderer needs to stay binary-compatible
from this point on.

Greetings
Stefan