[Kde-games-devel] Generic names

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 15:43:02 CEST 2010

Hi all,
I've noticed today that KGoldrunner did not show up in the menu as
KGoldrunner, but as the Italian translation of
"Hunt Gold, Dodge Enemies and Solve Puzzles".
I thought that maybe something went wrong with the translation, so I
checked out.

It turns out that we have now a "GenericName" for games in addition to
the Name in desktop files, and that this is preferred to the Name when
present.

I think it makes sense to have "Go Board game" for KiGo, since it
implements a well known, many times over implemented game...
or "Chess" for "Knights", as long as it
But otherwise, the GenericName should be avoided.

For example, it appears that the GenericName for KSame/SameGame is
"Board Game". How is this useful? There are so many different board
games that this GenericNames makes a game selection harder instead of
easier.

In conclusion, I think we should review our current GenericName usage,
and keep it only for games where it makes sense.

Here is the current list, together with my comments:

"Arcade Bombing Game"
I think this is redundant. The game is in the arcade group, and is
called "Bomber", This is not adding much to simply using the KDE name

"Five-in-a-row Board Game"
This is probably ok.

"Bomberman clone"
"Pac-Man Clone"
These are useful, though they are not names, but descriptions. No
problem with trademarks, though?
KDE Bomberman and KDE Pacman maybe.

"Sokoban-like Logic Game"
This is a description, not a name. I think we should drop the generic
name, or replace with something like "KDE Atomic Puzzle"

"Battleship Game"
OK, I think... Except for the trademark issue?

"Blackbox Logic Game"
OK.

"Falling Blocks Game"
OK, I guess.

"Ball Bouncing Game"
This is a too generic description. Either use a something clone as
above, or drop it.

"Breakout-like Game"
This is not a name, is a description... KDE Breakout maybe.

"Three-in-a-row game"
"Four-in-a-row Board Game"
These are OK.

"Hunt Gold, Dodge Enemies and Solve Puzzles"
This is a description.
"KDE Gold Runner" or "KDE Lode Runner", if trademarks were not a
problem. Or ditch the generic name altogether.

"Go Board Game"
OK.

"Yahtzee-like Dice Game"
I'd neet to check what this is. Is it Yahtzee or not? If it is, then
"Yahtzeee Dice game would suffice.

"Territory Capture Game"
A description again. If we can't cite the game, KSirk has to do, I think.

"Tactical Game"
A description. What game is this?

"Mahjongg Solitaire"
OK.

"Minesweeper-like Game"
Drop the -like. It's an impelmentation of the Minesweeper game.

 "Network Construction Game"
Sounds like a description, but could work as a name. Do we need this?
"Miniature Golf"
OK

"Galactic Strategy Game"
This sounds like a (too vague) description.

"Patience Card Game"
"Reversi Board Game"
OK

"Board Game"
What kind of board game? (this is the samegame game, is it a generic
term already? aotherwise, drop the generic name)

"Shisen-Sho Mahjongg-like Tile Game"
Shisen-Sho should already do. Remember we have a comment field for a
longer generic description

"World Domination Strategy Game"
A description. Which game is that?

"Skin Editor for the World Domination Strategy Game"
A description, not a name

"Space Arcade Game"
A description, too generic.

"Connect the dots to create squares"
Description, not name. Drop it.

"Sudoku Game"
OK

"Snake-like Game"
"Tron-like Game"
I would drop "like". These are implementation of old-school games,
there may be differences, but well...

"Picture Game for Children"
A description. Is this kind of game somewhat generic?

"3-D Game based on Rubik's Cube"
A description again... I think this is not an implementation of other
existing games, so we could drop the generic name altogether.

"Card Game"
Which one? (sorry, I think it's the Skat game. Just say so).
"Two-player Skat game" should suffice. If one does not know skat,
there is little we can do.

"Jigsaw puzzle game"
OK.

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams