[Kde-games-devel] The Future of Game Development in KDE

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Wed Sep 9 22:04:07 CEST 2009

Le mercredi 9 septembre 2009 14:42:47, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen a écrit :
> On Wednesday 09 September 2009 14:29:21 Kleag wrote:
> > Hello,

> > > Sorry, but that link does not tell me very much at all about Gluon ...
> > >
> > > :-(
> > >
> > > Also, I would challenge some of your basic assumptions.
> >
> > (snip)
> >
> > > Secondly, as the maintainer of three KDE Games, I don't find the
> > > integration of sound and graphics into a game to be much of a
> > > problem, compared to writing the game engine, for example.
> >
> > Concerning the game engine, players handling, network stuff, etc. there
> > is also the libkdegames/kgame library which works very well. I'm still
> > surprised that no more games use it. Maybe is it because of a lack of
> > documentations and examples... KsirK uses it since a very long time with
> > no big problems, except during the kde3 to kde4 porting.
> >
> > What will make gluon better than that ?
>
>   Gluon for now does not have networking subsystems, and this is likely
> somewhere libkdegames/kgame could come in. Please, don't think we're trying
> to do NIH here - anybody who has something to contribute can do so, and if
> we have well established technologies out there that can help out, then so
> all the better! :)
I see. The networking stuff made it very easy to integrate the connection above
Jabber, for example. And does Gluon have players and user input handling ? The
kgame one works well, making it very easy to handle AI and real users inputs
the same way.

> But yes, documentation is problematic - perhaps this is
> somewhere else we can all get together and work on it :) Is there any
> documentation available for libkdegames (other than the API-docs)?
I fear no. I stll have the Martin Heni's example game for KDE3, mykgame (a
network enabled Tic Tac Toe). I wanted to port it to KDE4 but never found time
to do so.

I suppose the better existing documentation would be the book "Open Source
Game Development: Qt Games For KDE, PDAs, And Windows" by Martin Heni and
Andreas Beckermann, but I did not read it. Also, it is about the kde3 version.

Gaël
--
KsirK - a world domination strategy game
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Tactic_and_Strategy/KsirK

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer