[Kde-games-devel] Kolf Art?

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 04:43:51 CEST 2009

> Please keep an eye on playability/gameplay.  Basically the club, ball,
> hole and teleports need to be easily visible in any chosen terrain.
> And height/slope cues would need good visibility too, not to mention
> hazards, such as sand and water.
>
> That should not be too hard to implement in Kolf.  Otherwise, let your
> head go, Arturo!

Thanks again! ^^
A lot of this will be easier to look out for once I can actually build
the full-fledged courses.  And yes, would love to get to the telports
eventually.  :)

In the meantime, I did get the heightmap integrated into the KOLF file:

http://pigux.com/kde4/snapshot6.png

Using this slightly revised heightmap:

http://pigux.com/kde4/test1-heightmap.png

And also utilizing a crude implementation of "zoomed" textures for the
grass to further enhance the effect of elevation (albeit subtly) with
the addition of these two:

http://pigux.com/kde4/default-grass-mid.png
http://pigux.com/kde4/default-grass-high.png

I did manage to get the course somewhat presentable -- however, I did
struggle a lot with the Min, Avg and Max values as they often didn't
do what I expected.  If at all possible, I would like changes in the
dials to affect the preview in real-time so I can better tell which
value combinations create inadvertent "blackouts".

Also, assuming the textures can be "zoomed" in the editor as I had
suggested before, it would also be great if the textures per layer can
also have their brightness controlled as well.  This could ensure that
various texture depths can be produced from a single texture.

But as you can see, if nothing like that can be made, at least we
always have the option of creating separate texture patterns if need
be.

That should be all for today.  :)

--Arturo