[Kde-games-devel] Kolf Art?

Casper van Donderen casper.vandonderen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 19:54:51 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Arturo Silva<jasilva28 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I'm back, though not 100% ready to work (dead tired). We'll see.....  :D
>
> In the meantime, there are replies to be had:
>

> Oh, I've seen minigolf courses with green (more for silliness really).  :)
> Either way, the hope is to provide a sampling a different textures
> (including green, snow, metal, maybe even lava, bamboo, moon rock,
> etc) so that course builders can get pretty creative with theming.
>
> And thank you for confirming that there will indeed be foreground
> elements as well (including bridges and fences), since this opens the
> door to more dynamic add-ons.

Hoo, these all also need a 3d representation, that takes time... ;-)

> The visual marker idea I mentioned earlier would indeed benefit
> greatly from this height level texturing now that you mention it.  And
> it wouldn't even require any additional texture work -- if I took the
> same grass texture (for example) and saved it in three different
> resolution (64x64, 128x128, and 256x256), then we can quickly simulate
> the appearance of grass that's far, intermediate and close from the
> viewer respectively!
>
> Great idea, I'll try that out ASAP once I get my heightmap up and running!  :D

Thanks for this, but we need to figure out how we are going to do this
nicely for 3D. You already get Level of Detail with mip-mapping...

> I see, yes I'll try that this evening.  :)
>
> Just to make sure, though, the final version will allow course
> builders to import custom heightmaps correct?

I believe that is definitely the plan ;-). nice that we use UNIX
commands for the encoding though, that means a designer that works on
Windows needs cygwin extra ;-).