[Kde-games-devel] Kolf Art?

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 22:37:33 CEST 2009

Pleased to finally meet you Stefan.  :)

You've supplied plenty of food for thought, but bottom line for my end
is we need some pleasant pattern textures and FAST so that we can meet
the 4.4 deadline, where Kolf 2 should look and perform at least en par
with Kolf 1.

After the deadline, hopefully we can then focus on adding plenty of
goodies so that it can grow into a very feature-rich desktop game.
[and hopefully maybe even the base engine to a KDE pinball game?
*wishful thinking* :D ]

In any event, sounds realistic to me!  ^^b

I only need to know three things:

=============

1)  Is there any particular place you want me to post up my proposed
graphic files?  I have a website which I use for storage as well, so
by default I will just upload it there and link it here for review.

2) I'm a bit fuzzy on how the actual courses with texture patterns
will be built, but will the near-future code allow for unmerged
graphics?  Meaning that while grass, rocks and even water will be
capable of blending in nicely with eachother, I need to make sure that
Greens, bridges and fences can still retain their rigid form.  And for
that matter, will the engine be capable of foreground elements?
(meaning graphics that appear "over" the ball).

3) I guess I'll see this more once I start testing, but what's your
goal for simulating depth perception?  The current Kolf does it by
color gradients and other golf games (like Wii Golf) allow you to
toggle a temporary elevation map for easy (albeit cheat-laden)
reference.  But it might also be possible to use visual markers in the
terrain pattern themselves, with patterns spaced out farther in higher
elevations to simulate "closeness" to the viewers field of vision.  I
may have more to say about this after testing.  :)