[Kde-games-devel] [FEATURE] KAtomic: level packs support added

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 23:03:36 CET 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 3:08:02 am Parker Coates wrote:

> >> I don't like "level pack" either.
> >
> > Hmm, so what's the consensus?
> >
> > I think "Game" is not an option for KAtomic (though it might fit
> > KGoldRunner).
> >
> > So far I like Level Collection or Level Set.
> >
> > But still  i'm not sure which one's best.
> >
> > Uhm. Let's vote? ;)
>
> I vote for "Level Set".
>
> "Level  Collection" is a fine alternative, but generally is a bit more
> wishy-washy. If I said I had a collection of 1997 Star Trek action
> figures, I might have 6 or 9 or whatever of them. If I said I had a
> set of 1997 Star Trek action figures, then that probably means I have
> the complete set. (This is a lie, by the way. I don't own a single
> Star Trek action figure, so don't bother asking if you can play with
> them.)
>
> Collections are flexible. Sets are more fixed. I think in this
> context, sets make more sense.

I saw a quiz question the other day about which English word has
the most meanings in the Oxford Dictionary.  I thought "get", but the
answer was "set".  "Level" has a few different meanings, too ... ;-)

"Set of levels" is less ambiguous than "level set", but is cumbersome.

So I think you should go with "level set", but use i18nc() for the translators
and careful doco, tooltips or whatsthis to explain it to the user.

All the best, Ian W.

P.S. "Change level set": is that three verbs or three nouns?  Or maybe
"level" and "set" are adjectives?