[Kde-games-devel] kigo

Sascha Peilicke sasch.pe at gmx.de
Fri Oct 23 11:16:30 CEST 2009

On Thursday 22 October 2009 21:18:02 Tadeusz Andrzej Kadłubowski wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2009, at 8:04 PM, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> >> If you choose a small board (say, 9x9) and 9 stones of handicap,
> >> you'll very likely to win even against the highest difficulty setting
> >> of GNU go engine. In such tight space 9 stones for free make a huge
> >> difference.
> >
> > This could be made the initial setup. More advanced players will
> > change config
> > anyway...
>
> Well, the default settings for go have been defined for centuries.
> 19x19, no handicap. Any other default would confuse and/or anger
> anybody who knows how to play go.

Initial setup means, the first time you start the app you'll see a 9x9 board
with an easy go engine. As every other KDE app, Kigo remembers your settings
next time you start it.

> What kigo should offer is a dialog to change difficulty settings,
> possibly with a set of presets. 19x19, no handicap, default GNU go
> engine difficulty should be called normal. 9x9, 9 handicap, lowest
> GNU go engine difficulty can be called very easy.
>
> Such a dialog could also be used to configure komi value, byo yomi
> time, etc.
Let me guess, you haven't tried it yet, right :-) This is in fact what is
shown at app startup.
--
Kind regards,
Sascha Peilicke