[Kde-games-devel] kigo

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Wed Oct 21 21:11:31 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 19:15:26 Arturo Silva wrote:
> ====================================
> Inge Wallin
> ====================================
>
> My goal is to try and eventually create something along these lines:
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/Go-Equipment-Narrow-Black.png
>
> Lightly textured Go grid, a glossy cherry wood lacquered table for the
> background (most boards ARE the table itself, so you can image the go
> board is embedded unlike in the above picture), two lacquered wooden
> cups to hold the pieces, and a timer (with KDE branding of course).
> ^^'

Wow!  If you manage that , you will create a beautiful game indeed.  I wonder
how difficult it would be to use OpenGL to create 3D pieces and be able to
zoom around the table at will...

> ====================================
> Matthew Woehlke
> ====================================
>
> > Um... I *have* played before, and I experience that at easiest
> > difficulty and with a handicap of 9 stones. Sad to say, so far I don't
> > think kigo is going to be usable by anyone that is not already an
> > experienced player :-(.
>
> hehe, I don't know whether to cry or lol.  ^^;
>
> Presumably we can change Go engines, so I wonder if there's one that's
> a little........ "kinder".... to casual gamers....  :P

Definitely lol :-D.  (and I say that as a former gnugo programmer)  Remember
that gnugo took 1st place in the computer olympiad at one time.  Sadly enough,
gnugo development has stalled much during the last few years.

	-Inge