[Kde-games-devel] kigo

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:15:26 CEST 2009

====================================
Inge Wallin
====================================

> Here is a program that I have always admired for the nice graphics.  Take a
> look at the screenshots and if you like also download it and run it for a
> couple of minutes.  It will illustrate nicely what I mean.

> http://home.gna.org/quarry/screenshots.html

Okay, you got it! ^^b
Actually, the pieces don't really look that dissimilar from the
KReversi ones, but the board definitely has a nice wood pattern.  And
I imagine it's a different thing playing it too. ^__^

In addition, I've been also looking at some better reference shots for
the go pieces, and I have come across a number of beauties that do
convey what you were talking about earlier (regarding the slate and
clamshell material):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Go-game-ear-reddening.jpeg
http://moscova.inria.fr/~doligez/go/Kitani_Go_284.jpg
http://www.vectorform.com/surface/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/07_final_board9x91.jpg
http://wallpapers.free-review.net/wallpapers/54/Go_is_a_strategic_board_game_for_two_players.jpg
http://www.inria.fr/saclay/resources/images/jeudego2.jpg

These may be complicated but not impossible to do in SVG.  Especially
since I would try to be frugal with how I create the detail.  ^^

My goal is to try and eventually create something along these lines:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/Go-Equipment-Narrow-Black.png

Lightly textured Go grid, a glossy cherry wood lacquered table for the
background (most boards ARE the table itself, so you can image the go
board is embedded unlike in the above picture), two lacquered wooden
cups to hold the pieces, and a timer (with KDE branding of course).
^^'

====================================
Matthew Woehlke

> Um... I *have* played before, and I experience that at easiest
> difficulty and with a handicap of 9 stones. Sad to say, so far I don't
> think kigo is going to be usable by anyone that is not already an
> experienced player :-(.

hehe, I don't know whether to cry or lol.  ^^;

Presumably we can change Go engines, so I wonder if there's one that's
a little........ "kinder".... to casual gamers....  :P

--Arturo