[Kde-games-devel] artwork license; was Re: granatier

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 21:16:26 CEST 2009

Mauricio Piacentini wrote:

> That is what I used for KMahjongg artwork as well (libkmahjogg/tilesets and
> backgrounds). I am not entirely sure the Creative Commons licenses are
> allowed in KDE, I believe they are not. See:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy

Ah yes, just to clarify, I definitely don't intend to use the CC
license here since I do recall reading somewhere that it was not
compatible with KDE (it might have been in that same page you
referenced, although at the time I only tossed a cursory glance).
When I post my work at my DA account, I'm only limited to either a CC
license (of various types) or a proprietary one, in which case I'd
have to use the former.  However, I would clarify in the description
that the actual license is GPL (or LGPL?), which is comparable to
CC-Attribution-ShareAlike (unlike the Non-Commercial and No-Derivative
clauses, which are rather problematic).  ;)

 Parker Coates wrote:

> Typically, kdegames artwork has been released under the GPL. This
> makes things very simple when it comes distributing the game as a
> whole, as one doesn't have to worry about license compatibilities.

Yeah, my preference is for simplicity as well, since I'm usually too
busy drawing to worry too much about legalese (other than to make sure
my work isn't getting closed up).  ;)

In that respect I'll also agree that a visible license indicator is
not really necessary, and that if alternative licenses are ever used,
they  would simply be added into the source art folder.

Now that I know, I intend to abide by Granatier's own license for the
Grantier theme (and any other themes I can whip up before art freeze),
and that should pretty much be the end of that.  :)

--Arturo "C-quel" Silva