[Kde-games-devel] New Mazes game in KGoldrunner

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Oct 14 00:06:38 CEST 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:10:56 pm Arturo Silva wrote:
> Ian Wadham wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I have just committed the latest set of KGoldrunner levels from
> > Steve Mann, who previously contributed the Count and Curse
> > of the Mummy levels.  This time the theme is mazes and the
> > levels are named after dwarfs from myth and story.  These
> > great new levels are for release with KDE 4.4 in early February.
> >
> > The KGoldrunner grid of 28x20 squares is not much space in
> > which to construct a conventional maze of reasonable difficulty,
> > but when you add enemies, false bricks, hidden ladders and quirky
> > Traditional rules, it can become surprisingly difficult to find your
> > way through.  I have had such a lot of fun "testing"!
> >
> > There are 37 levels in the Mazes set.  Enjoy!
> >
> > All the best, Ian W.
>
> Thank you very much!  This is something else I will be looking forward
> to testing out.  :)
> But since these are levels and not code per se, I'm assuming we have a
> little more time to review these (in other words, they wouldn't be
> impacted by the feature freeze)?

I am regarding them as a "feature" anyway and have posted them in
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.4_Feature_Plan#kdegames

The levels all work on my machine and Steve Mann's, but it is possible,
due to subtle timing differences, that one of them will not work on some
platform somewhere ... as with code.  So the more exposure they get
before release, the better.  However, I am not suggesting everyone has
to "test" all the levels ... it has taken Steve and me several days ... :-)

More importantly, the levels contain hint-texts and those have to be in the
hands of translators before the Message Freeze, aka "string freeze".  And
it is not unknown for there to be typos and translation difficulties in the
hints, even the odd bit of non-US English ... :-)

"Center"?  Ugh!!!  Centre, centre!  Unfortunately, KDE insists on US English,
so "center" it has to be ... :-(

All the best, Ian W.
Proudly English and Australian.