[Kde-games-devel] KScoreManager design

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 13 01:48:49 CEST 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 1:57:20 am Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns 12 Octubre 2009 16:53:22, Alexander Smirnov va escriure:
> > Then I thought that having game scores published on some server is more
> > interesting, than storing the scores locally(which is previous century).
> > You can compare you achievements and records with other guys' and girls'
> > who play this game too, get your rating among all the players, join a
> > related group, discuss game there... What if... what if we implement
> > this feature optionally? Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Social
> > Desktop  and don't know if it is possible at all there... what do you
> >  think?
>
> It's a good idea, the problem is that sending scores to a server whose code
> is open makes it very easy to fake scores.

The idea of a high-score server has come up before on this list.  It always
seems to go into the too-hard basket, though everybody seems to like the
idea.  Another major problem has been lack of a suitable server.

Maybe divisions by country/continent/worldwide would be good.

The faking problem can be got around if gameplay is recorded, as in
KGoldrunner, but then somebody would have to "review" submissions
for global high-scores before they were published on the site.

Maybe encryption techniques could be used somehow to impede faking.

All in all there would be quite a bit of logic involved in a server-based
high-score system and I am not sure if anybody is working on the local
version ATM ...

All the best, Ian W.