[Kde-games-devel] granatier

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 00:01:13 CEST 2009

Before I continue, I thought I'd give a brief mention regarding the
documentation.
Since I'm no longer confident in editing the peculiar Docbook format
directly, I'll be submitting changes via text here, in the hopes you
can update them into the docbook on your own.

For example, in the introduction, I propose that the passage read
something like this:

Granatier is a clone of the classsic Bomberman game, inspired by the
work of the Clanbomber clone.
The object of the game is to run through an arena, using bombs to
clear out blocks and eliminate your opponents.  Several bonuses and
handicaps are  hidden underneath the blocks -- these can either help
or hinder your progress.

I'll probably have a few more things later this evening, but the key
mapping will be tricky since these technically can be changed in the
options menu (but guess we can work with the defaults).

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Ooh... with the yellow "neutral" bonuses, I am liking the "bad" being
> red a bit more. (Oh, and the phoenix and teleport are beautiful!)

Thank you.  ^^

> Wasn't skate a "bad" bonus? If yes, that would be conveniently make the
> number of "good" and "bad" equal :-).

Ah yes, I was disputing that too, but somehow I felt at the time that
the skates could be useful in getting you out of a bind.  Then again,
that's only if the map is clear of most of its blocks.  Whoops.... :P

Oh well, it's a simple gradient swap.  ^^;

> I'm not too sure about it either :-). Remind me, the arrows move bombs
> placed on them? If yes, maybe bomb_trap should have a similar look,
> maybe a circle, or arrows pointing in all directions.

Well it is pretty tricky to visualize since the bomb_trap (or rather
bomb_mortar) does hurl bombs in random directions, so the arrow
version would be a touch misleading (unless they're curved arrows),
We'll see what Mathias says.  :)

> ...this sounds exactly like the bazooka (or more accurately, grenades)
> from wormux ;-).

Definitely!  Although I've always despised grenades because it always
seems like I overthrow them.  ;P

> Looked fine to me. I don't think a single stick would look as good. A
> tube of nitroglycerine might look really good, but IMHO the current
> graphic is fine.
>
> Thinking about how you make a test tube look like nitro, I thought to
> put an explosion graphic behind it, then realized you could do the same
> with the current TNT. I'm not sure it's needed though, and it wouldn't
> really match the style of the other icons.

fufu, I applied the same reasoning for not going with the blackhole
for teleportation.  It would work too (and no doubt maybe I could've
made it very beautiful), but the current graphic is both simpler and
effective enough. The TNT, for example, is basically composed of 5
rounded rectangles, 5 strokes for the fuse wire, 1 curved square and a
handwritten TNT sign.  ^^b

Oh, and good call on the "TNT" piece -- you're right, that IS the only
text on display, but hopefully its recognizable.  (unless we're
talking about non-Roman lettering, such as "тол")

--Arturo