[Kde-games-devel] granatier

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 5 18:36:27 CEST 2009

(Please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message bodies.)

Arturo Silva wrote:
> lol. ^^
> Hopefully I will be able to get tot he waterbomb thing before freeze.  ^^

We're only coming up on soft freeze IIRC, just get it on the feature
plan and you are okay for now. (Actually since it is artwork you are
maybe okay all the way until artwork freeze.)

> In any event, I'm happy to report that some the Floor and Block
> textures have been redone, and the Walls have been spruced up a little
> more.

The walls do look better, and the new floor is nice (I'm not sure about
the grate, personally I think I would drop that. But it would be neat if
we could have multiple floor - and for that matter, wall and block -
chosen at random, in which case this would be fine as one of them.)

I'm hoping the ice/arrows/etc are still being worked on, and will look
more like the floor when done?

> In addition to that, I have new textures for the blast,

Much nicer! Well, okay, I know the old ones were placeholder, but these
do look nice, and I don't imagine explosions are easy to draw in svg.

As a personal suggestion, I think they would look a touch better with
the end not so abrupt and a little more rounded. See attached. All I did
was change the linear gradient on the outline to a radial. (I also had
to make the more-yellow-orange go further out or else it got lost.)

> And as promised, here's a repost of the additional bonus icons I suggested:
>
> bonus_pandora:  this is a mystery bonus that can be any single one of
> the previous bonuses.  Only the brave dare try this.  ;D

If you want it to be sinister, I think you need more "bad" bonuses :-).
(The only "bad" (IMO) one "of the previous bonuses" was slow.)

I guess that's why...

> You had also personally suggested penalties for inverting the keys
> (which I'll call "bonus_drunk"), laying bombs all the time (which I
> guess can be called "bonus_malfunction"), and speeding up too fast to
> be effective at anything (which could probably be "bonus_hyperactive",
> lol).  ;)

Anyway, more anti-bonus ideas:
- I like 'constantly lay bombs', or similarly, lay bombs randomly (and
can't control at all when to lay them at all)
- can't lay bombs for a time
- can't stop moving until you hit a wall/bomb ;-) (ice skates?)
- move random direction on key press (drunk++)
- teleport; get relocated to random open square
- jitter; move random number of spaces in requested direction, including
zero (maybe even through walls; shorten distance or don't move if move
would be into wall)
- instant death ;-)

--
Matthew
Q: Why doesn't Fedora provides ponies? -- Benny Amorsen