[Kde-games-devel] KScoreManager design

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuzkde at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 16:34:12 CEST 2009

On Friday 02 October 2009 18:15:31 Parker Coates wrote:
> You forgot Killbots. :'( Killbots is a bit awkward as it has multiple
> game types (a.k.a. rulesets), but no difficulties or levels. In the
> current KScoreDialog implementation, I simply make game types
> equivalent to difficulty levels, but semantically they're probably
> closer to level packs. But of course I wouldn't want the dialog
> showing a bunch of level packs with only one level in each of them.
> I'd forgotten how tricky this problem really is. :)
I see. But I think the tricky part here is that it is really difficult to come
up with a highscore system that would suit every single game out there :)

There will always be exceptions.
So we might choose some common ground which can be customized by the games
itself.

> Personally, I don't think we should restrict ourselves by overloading
> the meaning of "level" in the table. Sure we don't currently have a
> game that has level sets, levels and difficulties, but I think if
> we're writing a new system, it only makes sense to maximise the
> flexibility.
Yeah, you are right here. This scheme would fit to be usable in killbots then?

I only wish that having packs/levels/difficulty_levels hierarchy wouldn't
cause bloat on the UI side, we must think carefully on how it'll look like and
consult UI team if we don't find an obvious solution at some stage.

> Your English is fine. Your replying skills, though, could use some work. :P
Haha, right, sorry about that.
If I'll make a 3 more replies to this mail I swear that I'll hide in bushes so
perfectly that you won't ever find me to express me your nays :-P

Cheers,
Dmitry.