[Kde-games-devel] Games showcase and tips/tricks

Vivek Prakash vivek.ap at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 17:37:15 CET 2009

Thanks a lot for your comments, complements and corrections!  I've
incorporated them into the draft text.

I'm not sure the current booklet is the place to mention the upcoming games
(I'm checking with the coordinator) but after this little project is done
I'd be happy to write up something about the upcoming games for KDE 4.4.

Thanks again.

Vivek

Hi!
> [...]
> >  blog preview for a blogging program or a presentation mode to a PDF
> >  viewer).  So, for example, is there some tip/trick about KPatience to
> >  which you would like to give greater prominence?
> >
> I do not believe such a section is appropriate for KDE Games.  We try to
> write them so that they are quick and easy to learn, but difficult to
> master.
>
> My main tip is to go to the Help->XXX Handbook (F1) to see a summary of
> what the XXX game is about and what the objective is (i.e. how to "win").
> Several KDE Games also have tutorials, demos or a Tips and Tricks section
> in the handbook.
>
> > I'll basically be updating and expanding on the text pasted below.
> > (Anything I write will probably be heavily edited, which is why I'm
> > comfortable taking on a task about programs I'm not very familiar with.)
> >
> > Thanks for your advice.  I appreciate your time.  And on an unrelated
> note:
> > those are some pretty awesome games!
> >
> We do our best ... :-)
>
> >  <<KDE Games screenshots>>
> >
> > When you need a little break from work, KDE offers a wide selection of
> > games, both small and large. You can play classic games like *Rubik's
> >  Cube*, or more challenging and complex games, such as *Sudoku*. Try
> >  miniature golf with up to 10 other players, or one of the other
> boardgames
> >  such as *Reversi *, *Shisen*, *Bovo *or *Battleship*. Or if you prefer,
> >  you can stick to * Patience*, *Solitaire* and similar card games. Along
> >  with the nice artwork, you can customize the look of your games by
> >  downloading themes available online, and you download additional levels
> as
> >  well. You can even create your own graphics and game levels and share
> them
> >  easily with others!
> >
> One technical point, especially relevant in promo work (we do not want KDE
> get sued): many terms that come up in writing about games are trademarked
> or copyrighted.  "Rubik's Cube" (TM) is just one example above.  The
> corresponding KDE Game is called "Kubrick" BTW.  The handbooks will
> usually quote such terms in the proper legal way, maybe in the Credits
> and Licences chapter.
>
> I like your writing style, Vivek, it is very bright and breezy.  Excellent
> for
> promo work.  However I think most people would agree that the said cube
> (dimensions 3x3x3) is much more difficult than KSudoku, although Kubrick
> does offer some simpler puzzles with smaller dimensions or limited numbers
> of moves.
>
> And there is just one KPatience game (kpat for short).  Curiously, it calls
> itself a Patience game, which is UK English for such games.  In US English,
> which is the KDE standard, they are called Solitaire, I believe.  Perhaps
> you should describe this game as being "a Patience or Solitaire card game".