[Kde-games-devel] KPat Progress and Regressions

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 18:31:37 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:57, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Parker Coates wrote:
>> The animation actually starts much quicker, but now speeds up more
>> slowly and hits a maximum speed. So it's both faster and slower than
>> it was before. :) Again, the actual values are subject to change.
>
> I guess I can see it a bit quicker to start with, but then it stays
> slow. I guess the point is I preferred the quicker acceleration and
> maximum speed.

There was no maximum speed before, so it didn't take long before the
cards were traveling instantly from one pile to the other. I didn't
care for this as it makes the motion much more difficult to follow.
Even one intermediate frame makes the animation much easier to
understand.

>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 21:17, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> Maybe I am impatient, but I don't like waiting so long on
>>> the game to be over.
>>
>> You're thinking about it all wrong. Think of how much faster the game
>> is ending compared to if you had to individually move all those cards.
>
> True, but I want my pony ;-). More accurately, I want my pony /back/.
> Speed-wise, I thought the old version was just fine. (The principle of
> 'taking away something I liked is worse than not giving it to me in the
> first place' comes into play here.)
>
>>> Would it be unreasonable to offer an option for animation speed?
>>
>> For 4.4? Yes. :)
>>
>> For 4.5? Maybe. KPat doesn't have a configuration dialog, and Coolo
>> has expressed some desire to keep it that way. We can really add any
>> more settings to the Settings menu without it feeling much to crowded.
>
> I was assuming it would go in the settings menu :-).

Sorry, it seems I dropped and apostrophe and a "t". Has anyone seen them? :P

I meant to say we *can't* add more settings without blah, blah, blah...

>> Personally, I don't think it should be that difficult to come up with
>> a balanced set of speeds that'll be equally usable for all.
>
> Really? aseigo thinks it is too fast (presumably, "still" too fast). I
> think it is too slow. I'm not sure how you plan to make us both happy
> w/o an option.

There's no need to make you both happy. I can just force you to fight
to the death. Winner decides. Yet another problem solved with simple
gladiatorial justice. :) Seriously though, the goal isn't to make both
of you 100% satisfied with the implementation of this rather minor
detail. The goal is to make you (and everyone else) happy with KPat on
the whole.

If you have suggestions for what you would consider the ideal timings,
let us know. If we don't know exactly what you want, it's hard to tell
if it can be compromised on or not.

Parker