[Kde-games-devel] Palapeli: a belated review

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Mon Nov 9 22:08:13 CET 2009

Am Montag 09 November 2009 18:54:47 schrieb Matthew Woehlke:
> Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > I'm with Matthew here. LMB is the default behavior provided by many
> > applications, although Matthew is right that "if there is a way to make
> > [piece selection] more forgiving, e.g. grab closest piece within so many
> > pixels, even if you are not actually on the piece, [...] that would be a
> > big help".
>
> So is LMB pan going away? :-)

No, but I'll enlarge the click area (I would have done it now, if I had a
clean solution for this).

> >> Just a few more minor points:
> >>   - Can we change the properties of a puzzle in My Library?  I gave
> >>     one of my puzzles the wrong name ...
> >
> > I'm not sure about this one. The puzzles in the library could also be
> > imported from some external resource, and it is not a good idea to let
> > the user put his name on puzzles made by others. Perhaps some special
> > rule could be inserted to allow editing only for puzzles created on this
> > computer, but that would require to change the library format. I do not
> > like changing formats some days before release (even if the release is
> > only to kdereview).
>
> Isn't it possible to simply edit
> $KDEHOME/share/config/palapeli-libraryrc directly? So I'm not sure this
> is really a problem; if someone wants to "maliciously" edit a puzzle's
> info they can already do that, but it is inconvenient to fix e.g. typos.

No, palapeli-libraryrc is a metadata *cache*. You can insert anything you want
into there, but it won't help you much because the canonical metadata is
stored in the puzzle. (That means, of course you can change the metadata, but
it requires you to edit the metadata files in the puzzle.)

> >>   - Could the tab be called "My Collection"?  "Library" is for books and
> >>     programs I would say.
> >>   - How do you get access to the example puzzles?
> >
> > Aren't they installed for you? If not, do a "bash make-puzzles.sh" in the
> > puzzles subdirectory, then "make install" again. (I know, it's awkward.
> > That will change when Palapeli moves to kdereview.)
>
> You might want to regenerate the puzzles after revisiting the seam
> visibility issue. (The pen width needs to be 2.0 to fully eliminate
> seams, not 1.5... though even then I see a small number of glitches at
> corners, but at least it is /only/ corners.)

I had to find the middle way between the ugly lines and too big (= also ugly)
overlaps. The best compromise (taking the set of all default puzzles into
account) was 1.5 IMO.

> >>   - Long-term we may need ways to be not so obvious when a fit occurs
> >>     and to tear a piece loose if it is in the wrong place.  I've seen
> >>  puzzles with that level of difficulty ...
> >
> > Currently, you cannot at all affix pieces to other pieces that are not
> > direct neighbors. This is due to the generality of Palapeli's game
> > engine: It does not make any assumptions about how pieces are ordered.
>
> Personally I'm okay with this behavior, even though it /is/ a little odd
> when any piece can fit perfectly with any other piece (e.g. rectangle
> slicer, but also any tessellating slicer).

I agree with the oddity of tessellating slicers, but that's what a design
decision is about. One decides which situation is odd and which isn't. In this
case, I've sacrificed a little loss in reality for a big gain in usability.

Greetings
Stefan