[Kde-games-devel] kpat issues (in recent svn)

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun May 24 11:31:45 CEST 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:50:09 am Parker Coates wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Ian Wadham wrote:
> I'll try to ignore the fact that the phrase "Pension Bonus Scheme" is
> embedded twice in the above text. :) Is this some kind of subliminal
> embedded spam that I've never seen before?

Heh, heh!  Well there's nothing wrong with you younger guys preparing
for the future ... :-)  Actually, I seem to be getting some kind of mouse
'flu in KMail and Firefox.  I use the scroll-wheel a lot when reading, but
sometimes it does these unexpected edits ... especially in KMail ... entire
paragraphs seem to vanish or move all at once.

> > Rather I was suggesting narrowing down the possibilities by temporarily
> > removing the animation and seeing if the bug goes away.  Then, if it *is*
> > the animation that triggers the problem, you could restore it and dink
> > with it in various ways, to see what triggers the bug and what does not.
> > Then you could give the Qt guys more information and evidence about
> > the problem.
>
> Removing the animation does make it go away. I was confident it would,
> but I tested it anyway. I've continued to (as you so chuckle
> inducing-ly put it) "dink with" the animation and have discovered that
> adding an arc to the animation made it the issue go away. Even a
> single pixel of vertical translation during the course of the
> animation was enough to fix it. So it would seem that QGV may be over
> optimising horizontal translations combined with horizontal scaling.

Ooooo!  Does "dink with" mean something crude in Canada?  It just means
"mess around with" in Oz English.  Sounds like you've collected some
excellent evidence for the QGV guys, as well as a good workaround.
A dink in time saves nine!

> Adjusting the duration of the animation did effect the severity and
> the frequency of the issue, but even extending it to 600ms didn't fix
> things. In fact, it sometimes made the issue even more interesting.
> See the attached screenshot.

Wow!  Call your previous problem clipping?  Now *this* is clipping!

> > prepare your case well.
> I was following the list at that time, so I have a decent
> understanding of the effort you guys put in then. I also very much
> appreciate the help and advice you given me today.

She'll be right, mate!  I am really pleased you managed to nail
down the problem.  One nice outcome of the earlier fracas with QGV
was that, quite by chance, I found myself sitting next to Andreas, the
chief designer of QGV, at one of the Akademy 2008 sessions, and
we were able to make our peace.  He was the only guy I ever flamed.
It got that bad.

All the best, Ian W.