[Kde-games-devel] card deck copyrights

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 7 03:34:55 CEST 2009

Parker Coates wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I've now committed the SVG version of penguins. Please check if there
>> are any concerns regarding the updated copyright.
>>
>> In addition, I'd like to commit this:
>> $ cat svg-gm-paris/COPYING
>> The Paris deck is an SVG adaptation of a 19th century French deck,
>> and is Public Domain. SVG adaptation by Richard Hoelscher.
>>
>> Any objections? Callum McKenzie helpfully tracked down the copyright
>> information (or rather lack thereof), which can be verified here:
>> http://markmail.org/message/nbutimcp6a4bjhu6
>
> Nice work on the deck.

Thanks, I'm rather happy with it :-).

> Might I suggest you get rid of the "glares" on
> the face card penguins? They look okay on the Ace of Spades as they're
> more subtle there. On the unshaded cards they don't really look
> natural as I'm pretty sure even a wet penguin isn't that shiny. ;)

True, but they were there in the PNG version :-). I'll try to have
another look when I get time (might not be until next week, but art
freeze is some time away, and this is clearly not interfering with any
other freezes).

> Doubly nice work on tracking down the copyright info. I'm now worried
> I might have broken the rules in converting the Standard deck to SVG.
> The original artwork had no copyright info and the new SVG doesn't
> have any either, so I guess that's neither a net loss nor a net win.

Well, presumably if it wan't under a "reasonable" license it wouldn't
have been allowed into our repositories :-). (Still, it's good to have
proper notices, which is why I spent the time to make sure the penguins
one is correct, and why I want to add one to Paris.)

--
Matthew
 > A: Yes.
 >> Q: Are you sure?
 >>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
   -- Unknown (but often repeated in different forms)