[Kde-games-devel] KPatience theme.svg

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 18:46:44 CEST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Parker Coates <parker.coates at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Sean wrote:
>> Is there any chance we can have this format svgz instead of svg?
>>
>> It's going to save 1.1Mb in size if we can use svgz.
>
> At one point there was some discussion of storing the SVGs as plain
> text (to give readable diffs) and then using a script to convert them
> to SVGZ at build time along with some other optimisations. Did anyone
> ever look any further into that? Did Luciano have a prototype script
> written?

Well, I have a Qt program rather than a script, that removes some of the
elements that are not needed for proper rendering. Actually, my latest
version goes a bit too far, but it should be easy enough to comment
out the wrong optimization.

It removes quite a lot of unneeded tags; many transformations do not
actually hinder further editing, though some do to various degrees. A
few of the transformations are in line with what inkscape is supposed
to do in the upcoming version.

In any case, an old version of the svg optimizer is here... not sure
is a good one, though.

http://www.cirulla.net/listing/kde_stuff/svgoptimize-0.3.tar.bz2

I'll try to dig out the sources and post them somewhere...
If there is interest, I could put it up in SVN somewhere.

Oh, there was also the png-to-svn deck script, but that needs to run
once only...
And inkscape could be used to make svn encode the png files afterwards.

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams