[Kde-games-devel] replacing classic tileset?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 17 18:25:34 CET 2009

Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> [W]hy "replace" classic? I understand it has problems, but why not
> add the Bamboo one, and let people that want to use Classic for one
> reason or another continue to do so?

Mainly quality reasons. I'm not adamant about it, but do we want, at
some point, to enforce some sort of minimum quality standards?

> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> (Meanwhile, should I commit what I have and start working directly in
>> /trunk instead of just locally on my machine?)
>
> I think you can continue to work locally if you want to, but commiting
> Bamboo.svgz and Bamboo.desktop to the repository would allow translators
> to start working with it.

Obviously I'd be working locally, having it in /trunk just means I'd
push it back occasionally for others to see the progress.

Did you mean bamboo.copyright? I don't think there is anything to
translate in a .svgz, is there? (Note that there is no "text" in this
tileset; there are kanji of course but I don't think this is meant to be
translated, both because it's the actual art (i.e. beyond most
translators ability to change unless they are also artists) and is
traditionally used for all languages. Unlike some tilesets, there is not
latin numbers/text.) I did think about getting at least the .desktop in
for translators.

> One thing I considered is to rename the current default (for tiles, and
> maybe for other game elements like layouts and thems as well) to a
> different name. After this is done, we can make "default.desktop"
> something we can change at every release, if necessary. So if we decide
> for example that Bamboo is very cool when it is done, we could alias
> default.desktop to it for 4.3. People that want to use the old default
> would still find it there, as well as Classic, and all others.

That's up to y'all; I certainly wouldn't /object/ to making bamboo the
default :-) but I'm not asking for it, either. Personally I think there
is some value in the current default as it is more "traditional".

--
Matthew
You're on your own for the pony. -- Richard Hughes, on feature requests