[Kde-games-devel] Committing not-for-distribution files

Tadeusz Andrzej =?utf-8?Q?Kad=B3ubowski?= yess at hell.org.pl
Fri Jun 26 07:41:59 CEST 2009

Thus wrote Ian Wadham:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have just been re-connecting the sounds in KGoldrunner and have come
> across some sound-files in AIF format (Amiga/Apple Interchange Format).
>
> These are as they came from the composer's pen (he works on an Apple)
> and they would be needed again if the sounds had to be edited, but should
> NOT go into a distro.  I would like to commit them to trunk, for safe-keeping,
> but how do I avoid making them distributable?

What's the point of preventing them from being distributable?

What's been put on the Internet once, can be distributed everywhere. There can
be no way to make it technicallly non-distributable.

You can write a clear README file that describes:
-your motivation
-expected way for the downstream to package and distribute game media
-information for future artists working on this music

Whatever you write, it will be treated as a guideline rather than law. Anyway,
I think that the downstream packagers already have a clear idea that some files
are ,,source''. Have you seen any distro installing C++ headers along with
KGoldrunner by default? ;)

Best regards,
--
tadeusz andrzej kad�ubowski