[Kde-games-devel] To use kgame or not to use kgame

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Fri Jul 17 11:49:57 CEST 2009

Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2009 10:33:19 schrieb Casper van Donderen:
> This brings me to another question: can GGZ easily handle realtime games?

It depends on your definition of real-time constraints, but you'll likely need
a real-time aware OS on the server (or a dedicated server with the guarantee
of interference-free operation) plus a real-time aware network connection.

Getting a dedicated server + hosting for kdegames is not very likely - I've
tried getting one for years and sponsoring opportunities seem to be rare these
days. I'd be glad if anybody proves me wrong.

We haven't seen a single UDP-based game yet. All games are based on TCP. Some
GGZ-UDP code is in the playground, but interest so far has been low as all
game developers were happy with TCP or roll their own client-to-client UDP
connections based on (privacy-protectable) GGZ player location information in
addition to the main connection.
There are some newer layer-4 protocols supported by modern OSes in between UDP
and TCP regarding their properties, like DCCP in Linux 2.6.14+, but I've never
seen them in used in free games.

If using TCP is an option, GGZ provides nice tools to toggle between human-
readable protocols for debugging and binary-optimised protocols for production
use, among other features.

> Because then we could integrate it into Gluon as well.

Of course :)

Josef