[Kde-games-devel] To use kgame or not to use kgame

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Fri Jul 17 09:36:12 CEST 2009

Am Freitag 17 Juli 2009 08:40:27 schrieb Josef Spillner:
> I was hesitating to
> put in the rest [1] due to ABI concerns which might arise as soon as more
> games make use of the GUI integration classes and have additional
> requirements. If on the other hand the functionality is considered more
> important than the stability, and at least one game is ready to make use of
> the libraries, I could just SVN- move it as early as this weekend before
> I'll be on travel again for some days. It's really less my decision and
> more the decision of game developers.

We could let this stuff in as an experimental library, similarly to
libknotificationitem in KDE 4.3. See [1] for the policies.

> At GCDS it was strongly recommended to make better use of developer sprint
> funding this year. My opinion is that we should take on this offer and come
> up with a place and time to meet. There has never been a kdegames code
> sprint before. Some top priority items could be selected and people then
> work on them for a weekend or so without further distraction [2]. Most of
> the benefits will clearly apply to integration topics where it is essential
> to have various people together, not so much on individual game/library
> optimisations or improvements.

I think networking is a perfect candidate in this regard. I would like the
following:
1. import all missing parts of KGGZ to some experimental lib in kdegames
2. port one or two games to KGGZ, and ship these and the full KGGZ with 4.4
3. in the 4.5 timeframe, make a dev sprint focusing on networking
functionality and finalize the KGGZ API based on the observations
This would be ideal for me as networking in Kolf is currently scheduled
internally for Kolf 2.1 == KDE 4.5. (BTW this would also be a nice opportunity
for me and Casper to finalize the design of the 3D components in Kolf.)

All in all, I would be very interested in sprinting. ;-) Who else? And also:
Where could we meet? And when? (I will most probably be available from
February through April.)

Greetings
Stefan