[Kde-games-devel] To use kgame or not to use kgame

Alexander Smirnov alexander.v.smirnov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 16:51:28 CEST 2009

Josef Spillner пишет:
> Am Mittwoch, 15. Juli 2009 08:39:58 schrieb Alexander Smirnov:
>
>> I found kgame/kplayer framework in libkdegames and want to know it's
>> status. Albert has mentioned they are quite oldish. Since i'm developing
>> multiplayer game - backgammon - i'd like to know if it is a god/bad idea
>> to use these classes in new code.
>>

> Can you please elaborate on what multiplayer functionality you want to provide
> in your game?

Thanks for replying, Josef.

Backgammon is 2 player game(usually), so required option is ability to play:
- human vs human with one computer
- human vs human over LAN, one acts as server, another connects it
- human vs human/bot over Internet (FIBS)
- human vs AI

and optional are:
- Chatting with opponent over LAN/Internet. By the way, do you have any
information regarding externalizing kopete's chat widgets? I remember
there was a guy who wanted to do this in frames of SOC.
- For the Internet game: list of online players with their statuses,
like "ready for game", "away" and some additional info like player's
experience, rating and so on...

> After having talked with Sacha at GCDS it seems to me that in the future the
> Gluon input controller framework will provide a new abstraction of human
> players with their input devices, network players and bots. The multiplayer
> functionality itself can easily covered by kggz. If that's not enough for you,
> please let us know :)
I've just googled about ggz - looks cool. It would be nice to support it
in new backgammon game. But currently i can make a note on this only in
my long-term plan :( there is still much work to do with new backgammon.

--
Have a nice day,
-Alex