[Kde-games-devel] QT 4 to KDE 4 Migration

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jul 11 06:50:03 CEST 2009

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 1:54:02 pm John Schneiderman wrote:
> I am the developer of a game called KardsGT (kardsgt.nongnu.org). Currently
> it is developed using QT 4. With the next release coming at the end of this
> month, I am starting the plans for the next release. One of the major plans
> is to move it to KDE 4. To do that I was looking at the book "Open Source
> Game Programming: QT Games For KDE, PDAs, And Windows" by Martin Heni and
> Andreas Beckermann. In the book they say they note the differences between
> QT 3 and QT 4, but no mention of the differences between KDE 3 and KDE 4.
> My question is, if I get this book with it's examples of KDE 3 is it going
> to be an issue then translating it to KDE 4 as I move to it? I'm not
> planning to write it in KDE 3, but will the concepts they present regarding
> KDE 3 migrate over to KDE 4?

That is an excellent book, but unfortunately was published during the
Qt 3 to Qt 4 transition period and while KDE 4 was being written.  It
is still of value in its discussions of algorithms and game-program
design and it points you in the direction of some useful KDE classes
that are still around, but in altered form.  To get up-to-date on those,
please check http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials, or
http://techbase.kde.org/Welcome_to_KDE_TechBase for info about
KDE 4 generally.

KDE Games has a thriving card culture, including card decks
designed by artists using scalable vector graphics (SVG), several
patience (solitaire) games and a two-player card game (LSkat).
See http://games.kde.org/.  Your ideas should fit right in ... :-)

All the best, Ian W.