[Kde-games-devel] To ogg or not to ogg?

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Wed Jul 1 19:49:37 CEST 2009

The problem with ogg at the beginning was that very small ogg files
had a problem with the Phonon Xine backend. Last time I checked this
is no longer a problem.
Regarding the compatibility with the Mac and Win Phonon: this should
not prevent us from using Ogg. We decided early in the process that
compatibility with these platforms should not come at the expense of
us promoting free alternatives and formats, iirc.
And anyway, we HAVE been shipping ogg files for some of our games for
almost one year already!  Kapman, KTuberling and Kblocks for example
have sounds in .ogg format, and we have not received bug reports about
this!

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini