[Kde-games-devel] Kpat themes. Another take

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 10:45:58 CET 2009

2009/2/24 Eugene Trounev <eugene.trounev at gmail.com>:
> Hi everyone,
> parkotron has put all the elements of Kpat theme into one file (finally)
> They used to be all apart (as in BG, piles, OSD, and welcome screen).
>
> Now I'm asking for your input. Do you think it would make sense to
> consolidate them with actual card themes? This has advantages and
> disadvantages.
>
> Advantages:
>
> 1) Each card theme will have it's own BG, and elements, which will make the
> game more consistent.
>
> 2) The brighter cards will not suffer from being hard to see on bright BG,
> while dark cards on dark BG, because each theme will have it's own specific
> BG.
>
> 3) There will no longer be a problem with card backs being smaller then the
> fronts, because each card deck will have it's own specific back.
>
> 4) Will allow for more creativity with cards in terms of shapes and
> elements, as they will no longer be restricted to be rectangular.
>
> Disadvantages:
>
> 1) The only one and obvious disadvantage is that you will no longer be able
> to choose card backs, as they will be provided by the specific theme.
>
> So what do you think?

As you know, I'm a supporter for unified front and back card graphics.
I would not object that much to your proposal, but I find the
mah-jongg approach would be perfect (tiles --or cards-- and highlights
are one set, background graphics another one).

Moreover, we could reuse the settings dialog from mah-jongg easily
enough, which looks good from a consolidation point of view.

Wouldn't this be a good cross-desktop discussion argument, at next
joint-desktop akademy?
Luciano
--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams