[Kde-games-devel] Questions about basic game programming

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:39:46 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:19, wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Frederik Schwarzer
>> Just because it fits here a bit: What purpose does KGameCanvas have?
>> I mean. Is it another abstraction layer over QGV? Is it mandatory for some use
>> cases?
>
> No. It was introduced because qgraphicsview performance was not good
> enough for many games, but it looks like that has been fixed.
>
>> I ask because porting to something other than QPainter is my next big goalin
>> KShisen.
>>

> May I ask you why? Unless there is a specific problem with the current
> implementation, I see no reason to change it to something different...

I would have to agree with Luciano, here. QPainter based solutions are
generally the "highest" quality as they're very efficient and tailored
to the exact needs of a particular game. The problem is that they're
more work to write and trickery to get right. If you inherited a
decent QPainter based solution in KShisen, you should probably
consider yourself lucky.

Of course, if the current implementation is holding you back in some
way, than switch to QGV might make sense, but it's probably not a
change to make for the sake of change.

Parker