[Kde-games-devel] Questions about basic game programming

Pierre Maurier pierre.maurier at gadz.org
Thu Feb 19 15:26:47 CET 2009

Hi,

It's my first message in this mailing list, so I'll introduce myself :
First, I'm not a developer (I'm a Mechanical Engineer), I'm just a KDE user.
I'm 24, I live in France. And I've been using Linux for 6 years and KDE
since KDE 4.0.

This year I have developed few applications for my own usage in python using
pyQt. I really enjoyed how fast it was to create a (little) application that
just work.

Now I have some extra time and I have an idea of a little tetris-like game.
I don't really know if the game is going to be fun or boring but I want to
try it, It's also a way to learn new things !

After some reflexion I come with 2 fundamental questions :

- How can I create a "time-based program" ?
All my applications I wrote until now used to be action-based : a function
is called by a click/keypress of the user. Here I want to create something
that react after x time (and also react after user actions of course, it's a
game !). Is there a proper way to do this ?

- Which widget I have to use to draw things ?
The only games I have created (centuries ago !) where in Action Script
(Macromedia Flash). This was very easy because you can use flash drawings
and move them on the screen using coordinates. Is there a similar thing in
Qt ? What are you using kdegames ?

Maybe all my questions can be better answered elsewhere. Feel free to
redirect me if this mail isn't in the right place !

Thank you for your answers !

PS : I have difficulties explaining things in English (I'm French), so
please ask if something isn't clear.
PPS : I only know python (and Qt4). C or C++ is a foreign language for me.
But I think that QObjects behave the same way in both languages.