[Kde-games-devel] Regarding the latest messages about regressions...

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Tue Dec 15 11:50:52 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Mathias Kraus <k.hias at gmx.de> wrote:
> Mauricio Piacentini schrieb am Montag 14 Dezember 2009:
>> It seems to be related to sounds. I can reproduce it here: I have a
>> plain system with both Qt and KDE compiled from source.
>
> that's it. the problem seems to be QAudio.
> the weird thing is, I just tried it with KDE SC 4.3.4 and Qt 4.6 final but
> couldn't reproduce it. with 4.4 beta1 and the same Qt version it is 100%
> reproducible. the only thing I could imagine would be differences between Qt
> Phonon and KDE Phonon, but as I don't use Phonon it shouldn't matter.
>
> with "Play Sound" unchecked or with Gluon instead of QAudio there are no
> freezes. thanks for the hint, I will investigate it further tomorrow.

We all know that Phonon is not perfect for games (by design), but all
the other games are using it right now. So I believe it would be safer
if you use Phonon as a backup to Gluon, instead or the new and polemic
QAudio. Otherwise we would be soon using at least 3 different sound
APIs on kdegames, which is not good...

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini