[Kde-games-devel] Porting my Game Construction Kit to KDE

Frank cfrankb.2000 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 06:44:18 CET 2009

 >  I understand Frank is considering how to put his new port of the
>  engine under KDE, not the older Windows version that is on his page.

Correct. I plan to adhere to community standards. :)

> As you are talking about an engine, I assume it will be available in
> the form of a library, and the recommended license as outlined by
> Tadeusz is the LGPL.or BSD/MIT. Both allow commercial usage, btw.

It's a construction kit which includes the engine. My understanding is that it
would automatically fall under the GPL. For the code itself, that's not a
problem. I have heard that it was possible to keep the game data (art work,
sounds, levels etc.) under a different license. Does anyone know?

> Well, Frank could request a SVN account (as detailed by Dan) and put
> his code in playground/games at any stage of completion, even it he
> only has an intention and a README file. I actually recommend this
> route, as it encourages other developers to help him and look at his
> code.

Good suggestion. I'll look into that. If I have specific questions, where
should I go to have them addressed?

>  It also should not (ideally) come with newer
> dependancies. In the case of kdegames, a dependancy on SDL is not a
> good idea, for example.

This is a very  point which I hadn't considered. What are the exact outlines
for external dependencies? I noticed that KGoldRunner, for instance, uses
zlib. Is there a list, somewhere, of packages that KDE games are allowed to
use? Any other suitable alternatives to SDL for hi-performance graphic/sound?

> Infrastrucuture: apart from kdegames, which is a module of the KDE
> Software Compilation, there's extragear (projects that prefer their
> own release schedule),

Are the extragear projects also tied to the same restrictions on external
dependencies?

> and there's playground (experimental, unstable
> things. There be dragons, and most of my contributions). If you wish
> to host your source code within KDE infrastructure, then the
> playground is the only suitable place.

Maybe you should point me to some of your own contributions. I'm always
curious to learn about other people's work. ;)

Regards,
Frank B.