[Kde-games-devel] KPat/Freecell broken?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Dec 12 02:34:33 CET 2009

On 11.12.09 16:50:45, Parker Coates wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 16:14, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anybody else has problems with KPat not accepting
> > mouse-clicks/drags anymore after a couple of initial moves when playing
> > Freecell? The first oddness is that a double-click to move a card to the
> > free-stack doesn't result in an undoable action. And then after a couple
> > of movements of cards around I can suddenly not click anything anymore,
> > no card reacts. Seems this happens as soon as more than one card is
> > moved at once.
>
> Yes, others have seen it. It's been reported as bug 218019. [1]

Thanks and sorry for being lazy :) Thats basically all I needed...

> > The same happens in Spider when the first complete line from ace to king
> > vanishes.
>
> Crap. I was hoping it was Freecell specific. The reporter claimed that
> he didn't have any issues in Spider, but maybe he didn't play for long
> enough to clear a run.

Just to be sure we're on the same page: A "run" means adding up cards
from King down to ace so it gets nicely moved to the bottom-left
stack-place, right? Oh, btw, this was single-suite spider

> > Saving and reloading the games helps "fixing" the problem with Spider,
> > i.e. it doesn't block access to the cards until I start a new game. In
> > Freecell loading a game that previously blocked also makes it playable,
> > but only until the next move that involves more than one card.
>
> Thanks for the details. Please add them to the report, if you don't
> mind. If you start then stop the demo, does that have any affect?

For Freecell it didn't hit the problem as the demo mode always moved
only a single card.

For Spider it was a bit tricky to get it to complete a run as it always
"hangs" when one can still move cards around, but not in a meaningful
fashion (i.e. one empty 9 and one thats build down to 6, so you can move
8 and following around). But once I had it complete a run it didn't
stop. When I then completed the next run manually it again stopped
accepting any input.

Oh, wait now I understand what you mean with "start and stop demo"...
No, once the mouse stops working the demo button also stops working.

Added that and the other text to the report. I took the liberty to mark
the bug as NEW and kde-4.4.0-blocker as IMHO this breaks the app quite
heavily. Feel free to change the latter back (in the Keywords)

> This bug is definitely my fault, and I'm feeling pretty bad about it.
> Just before the freeze I cleaned up the mouse handling and it seemed
> to be working well, but I didn't really consider the custom weirdness
> that Freecell adds. The major problem here is that I'm out of town for
> work, away from my dev machine and I will probably won't be back until
> January 5th.
>
> I read through the code at lxr.kde.org, but I couldn't really see any
> obvious problems. I probably need to run it to figure out what's going
> on, but if I had to guess, I'd say the fix won't be that complicated.
> If someone else wants to take a stab at fixing this, I'd be more than
> happy to try to support them, but I realise that this is asking a lot.
> If anyone has a git-svn checkout and is willing to run a git-bisect to
> figure out which commit broke this, that would certainly help narrow
> down the issue, too.

As I love to play Spider and Freecell I'll definetly have a look
sometime (probably not this weekend though). No git-svn here, but the
bug (at least in freecell) is easy enough to trigger. So if you can give
me a hint where to start looking that would be nice :)

Andreas, who wonders why he always gets sucked into kdegames problems,
but never into koffice, plasma, kwin etc. :)

--
You will pay for your sins.  If you have already paid, please disregard
this message.