[Kde-games-devel] Testing days meeting - was KGoldrunner update

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Wed Apr 29 12:32:47 CEST 2009

2009/4/29 Ian Wadham <ianw2 at optusnet.com.au>:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:55:18 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> On Sunday 26 April 2009, Ian Wadham wrote:
>> > I suggest we in KDE Games can overcome this problem quite easily if each
>> > of us has at least one "buddy" who peer-reviews and tries out our latest
>> > work ...
>>
>> imho, that's a great idea.
>>
> Thanks, Aaron.
>
>> as an additional spin on this, what do you think about inviting kde
>> enthusiasts to come play the games from svn one day a month to give
>> feedback and what not? i'd love to spend a few hours one saturday playing
>> with your programs and actually be able to defend spending time playign
>> around because "hey, this is serious business! i'm helping test the apps!"
>> ;)
>>
>> it would be seriously easy to set up and i bet we'd get a decent little
>> turnout :)
>>
> Sounds like a great idea too.  It would need some (minimal) structure, to
> ensure that new features, major changes, etc. were covered.  Maybe it
> could be backed up by IRC.

This is sounding like an excellent idea. It's not too dissimilar to
one of the ideas we discussed at the BoF at Akademy last year [1].

I think once a month or so, we should hold a day (or weekend) where we
invite users/developers/friends to come along and test all our games,
particularly the new features we've been working on. This would
require the developers of the games to be present (if possible) and to
at least have made some sort of list of the new features that need
testing. I think we should market it as a sort of sister project to
the BugSquad [2] (e.g. BetaSquad, PlaySquad, GameSquad or whatever) as
I think it can only help to strengthen that brand.

We should organise an IRC meeting [3] to discuss this (we're due one
soon anyway) so any thoughts on dates for a meeting? The agenda should
be something like:
* Marketing (lots of blogposts, Dot story), name
* Relation to any 'buddy' scheme
* Relation to BugSquad i.e. should we coincide this with a bug triaging day?
* Things to make it interesting, informal competitions, networked games etc.

Regards,
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Akademy_2008_Notes#Bug_Fixing.2FTriaging_Days