[Kde-games-devel] Statusbar messages in KPatience

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 22 19:09:18 CEST 2009

Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 April 2009 19:15:57 Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in KPatience there are status bar messages to tell the user that
>> - This game can still be won! Good luck to you.
>> - Nope, this game cannot be won anymore.
>> - Timeout while playing - unknown if it can be won
>> - This game is lost.
>>
>> Isn't that a bit too much?
>
> I agree :) Only game is lost makes sense.
>
> If this pops up at every card movement this should be removed indeed.
> This is like poking a person every second saying "hey, you're winning, keep it up!".
> Or the opposite. Not everyone will like it.

So turn off solver :-). (Isn't the default "off", anyway?)

Personally I don't see the problem. It's a /status bar/. It really isn't
that distracting.

> I think it felt certainly cool when one who coded this (coolo?) was experimenting and
> excited about new feature. But having it in a shipped application is not very nice
> IMHO.

I for one will miss it if it is removed.

> OTOH this solver feature can be left with a purpose for user to trigger it
> explicitly. I.e. if i wish to know what's the current state of game, i can go to some
> menu and choose some "is game winnable?" option. And then receive answer.
> But not in every turn! :)

IMO that would be an annoying amount of effort.

I don't so much recently, but I've played a /lot/ of KPat since 4.0, and
have not once thought that the solver status should go away.

--
Matthew
"What's Cygwin?" you ask.