[Kde-games-devel] Copyright notices

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Apr 19 19:22:49 CEST 2009

First and foremost: if you are not a lawyer you have no input into this
discussion.  (Note, I have no problem with self-trained lawyers having input,
but you better have done enough studying)

On Sunday 19 April 2009 11:24:17 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 14 February 2009, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > how would it be to remove the word (or any sign for) "Copyright" from
> > the About dialog?
>
> Why? A copyright notice requires either the word "Copyright" or the
> copyright symbol ©.
>
> > I.e. replace "(c) 1997, John Doe" with just "1997-2009 The KDEGames
> > Team" in every game. The Authors tab holds the specifics anyway.
>
> If you want to do this then I'd write
>
>   Copyright 1997-2009 The authors of <name of application> (see Authors)

Last time I talked to a lawyer about this (about 10 years ago) I was told that
each year needs to be listed separately.   The 1997-2009 form doesn't provide
as much protection.  (why I don't understand).  Doesn't KDE have a legal team
that can discuss this and bring results back?