[Kde-games-devel] Revised pixmap to svg script

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 21:50:46 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Parker Coates wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Luciano Montanaro wrote:

>>> Because the soft feature freeze is today, I've added the conversion to
>>> only SVG carddecks to the 4.3 feature plan. I really think this is a
>>> worthwhile goal for 4.3.
>>>

>> Oh, well. Let's do it for 4.3 then. I've far less free time than I'd like at
>> the moment, so I can't do much anyway. But this morning I fished out the old
>> script to see what else needed to be done and changed it a bit to make it
>> embed the pixmaps. It turned out to be easier than I thought.
>
> Thanks, Luciano. I too am short on time at the moment, but I think I
> should be able to at least get the decks converted before 4.3.
>
> There was a problem with the ordering of the card suits and ranks,
> which I've fixed in the attached version. Other than that, it seems to
> work quite well.

Okay, so I just committed the converted version of "Konqi Modern".
Please test, if possible.

This has, however, brought a new issue to light. If the user is
upgrading from a previous version, they will still have the original
PNG based decks installed, resulting in duplicates in the card dialog.
If we convert all the decks and then drop support for the old style
decks, then at least they'll be hidden from the dialog, but they'll
still be using up a few MB of disk space.

Is this something we're comfortable with? Is there any easy way to
clean up the files from an existing installation on upgrade?

Of course, after spending all this time in the carddecks directory,
I'm constantly questioning whether why we've even bothered holding on
to these old decks. We already ship a large selection of beautiful,
scalable decks. Why bother holding onto this cruft?

Parker