[Kde-games-devel] KsirK and Jabber

Josef Spillner (KDE) spillner at kde.org
Thu Sep 18 06:46:16 CEST 2008

Em 16/9/2008, "Mauricio Piacentini" <piacentini at kde.org> escreveu:
>I agree 100% with you on this. I do not see any harm in attempting to
>provide a different way for multiplayer games.

/me also favours a Jabber layer underneath all multiplayer operations,
this is why there is work going on to make GGZ a Jabber component.
Jabber does not conflict with the idea of a central server at all, in
fact Jabber is still a client-server based system. I don't think real
P2P gaming is going to take off as long as most of our users are NATted
and by far the majority of them doesn't know how to open a port on
their router. This is why registering components on a Jabber network is
a good combination of a widely used network with existing game server
technology. It would be good to come up with a generic gaming extension
to Jabber at some point. The current approaches in this directions all
have shortcomings. Having KSirK available as a pilot game for that sort
of communication is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Unfortunately I've been away for over a week and am currently stranded
in Latvia due to a delayed flight, so there's not much I could
contribute at the moment :/

Josef