[Kde-games-devel] KsirK and Jabber

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 16 23:40:39 CEST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 September 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Hmm, good point. But what about using the seed distribution system
>> again?
>
> assuming you can generate enough entropy between requests, that should
> probably work.

Well, you'd *better* be able to generate enough entropy :-). Otherwise,
a central server is going to have the same predictability problem, no?

(Maybe not, since a central server using a monolithic PRNG may be
unpredictable in not knowing how many bits it has fed out since the last
ones you saw, but conversely, individual players have much more time to
generate additional entropy than a busy central server.)

> note that you can only have as many players as there are bits in the seed
> before it starts to break down (on disconnect you could re-choose seed
> contributors; or rotate between players). i doubt that will be an issue for
> most games though =)

I think that would depend on how you feed the bits into the PRNG, i.e.
you could probably use a bitstream-based PRNG that can accept any number
of input bits. But as you say, how many games have that many players? ;-)

--
Matthew
There's no place like ~. -- Unknown