[Kde-games-devel] KsirK and Jabber

Tue Sep 16 16:03:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 22:04, Kleag <kleag at free.fr> wrote:

> - no proxy/firewall change: as soon as you have a working Jabber, you can have
> games running on your machine or connect to any other running game without
> changing your network configuration ;

Afaik, KDE games should use a central server provided by KDE, no? In that case,
the firewall/NAT will not pose more or less of a barrier for plain
TCP/IP than for
Jabber.

> - chatroom infrastructure : you inherit from the Jabber chatrooms. It is
> really easy to create a chatroom and it is also easy to connect to other
> chatrooms to find running games. Also, you can use the very same room to
> discuss with other human players about the future games.

You need two rooms for each game. One for talking and one for data exchange.
Otherwise, you would need to filter out certain messages and use them for
game data exchange.

> - P2P and standardized naming: as soon as you are connected to the Jabber
> network, you can connect to any chatroom you know (and are authorized to
> reach). In the future, ksirk rooms and games should also be able to tell their
> presence to the rest of the world, reducing the need to know a precise
> chatroom name.

I thought the announcement should be handled by a central KDE server?
At least, this idea went over this list quite some time back.

Another thing I see as a potential problem is that it would be very easy
for kiddies to disrupt games other people play. Fire up your Jabber client
and spam everyone. The entry barrier is a lot lower than with a seperate
protocol.

Also, this setup does not allow for a central data source. If the 'host'
quits, the whole game will stop (unless you have fall-over provisions).
Without a central, neutral component, cheating is very easy. I can just
modify my local client to have two extra buttons: 'throw sixes in attack'
and 'trump the attack for defense throw'.

Richard